Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Salmon Fillet Cajun Style with Garlic Asparagus



I have been brought up in a family of fish eating lovers. My mum has it installed that fish is good for me, it has all the vitamins, proteins and possible all that I need (in brain food). Growing up like any other Singaporean in the 80's, salmon was not commonly seen, unlike these days. I remember the first time I had salmon... It was in a Japanese restaurant at the basement of Parkmall, salmon teriyaki bento set. I guess, I fell in love with the flavour of this pink flesh fish.

Now, a good 20 years later, I still love this fish. And whenever I think of cooking fish, salmon comes to mind. I prefer to use wild salmon when possible as opposed to the farmed salmon. The trick is to make sure you do not overcook the fish, keeping the flesh juicy, which melts in your mouth.



Ingredients
4 salmon fillets
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of ground dried spices (I use Spicy Barbecue seasoning by The Cape Herb and Spice Company)
Pinch of paprika
1/2 lemon
100g of baby asparagus, washed and ends trimmed
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Olive oil for sauteing
Salt and pepper

Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Level of difficulty: Easy peasy

Make the dressing marinate by mixing the spices, paprika, salt and pepper with the olive oil in a small bowl. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the mixture onto the salmon fillets and rub in. Set aside to marinate.

Heat a pan on medium heat. When heated, pour the olive oil first and then throw in the garlic, stir. When the garlic starts to brown, add in the asparagus and saute until bright green colour. They should not be too soft, but al dente. Divide into 4 serving plates. Set aside and keep warm.

Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and add in the salmon, skin facing the pan. No additional oil is required as the oil in the marinate is enough. Pan fry for about 3 mins on each side. The outer layer of the fish should be a pale pink and the flesh inside should be moist and juicy. Place just beside the asparagus and dribble 1 teaspoon of the remaining marinate onto the salmon and squeeze a little lemon juice over the top.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment