Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Kitchen Tip#3: How to simply poach an egg

My stage name is eggy for a reason. I love eggs and naturally, I eat a lot of them, which then leads to me having to cook them (who else will cook me eggs?).

My favorite are poached eggs as they don't feel so heavy and have a lovely creamy texture to the yolk. I know most real chefs say they poach eggs using a pot, add some vinegar in and top up with water, bring to a boil, make a whirlpool, crack the egg in, cross your fingers that it does not break and you might possibly have some strange form of poached eggs. Well, I have found a little trick that has never failed me and I hope it will not fail you either.

Instruments: Saucepan or frying pan (flat base), slotted turner, boiling water and eggs.

Step 1: Fill 3/4 of the saucepan with boiling water.
Step 2: Place on medium heat until small bubbles form at the base of the saucepan. Do not let water boil.
Step 3: Once you have the temperature under control, crack an egg and drop it as close to the water as possible to avoid damage to egg.
Step 4: Using a spoon, pour some of the hot water on top of the uncovered egg (usually the egg yolk) until it changes colour to resemble a poach egg.
Step 5: Turn off heat and cover saucepan. Count to 10 slowly.
Step 6: Uncover and use a slotted turner to scope up poached egg, pat the bottom of the slotted turner on some absorbent paper to dry the egg.

Ta-dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment