Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Homemade Penne Bolognese



Here I am on a scorching Tuesday afternoon, still in my PJs writing the recipe of my lunch. I love days like these... Lazy, chill and totally relaxed. I made penne bolognese today but using the quantity for 4 people. I usually do this so I can keep the leftovers in the freezer and heat it up when I can't be bothered to make myself a meal. The sauce keeps very well, up to 6 weeks in the freezer and about 5 days in the fridge. 

If I am not wrong, this was the recipe to my husband's heart and was one of the first meals I ever cooked for him.  Try it! :)

Ingredients - serves 4 
500g of lean beef mince
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 can of stewed tomatoes
75g of tomato paste
A splash of port wine, 100ml
1 glass of red wine, 250ml
1 tablespoon of good quality balsamic vinegar
 3 tablespoon of olive oil
 Handful of fresh basil leaves
 Parmesan cheese to sprinkle, optional
 Salt and pepper 
 Packet of penne pasta



Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 20mins
Level of difficulty: Easy peasy

Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan - medium heat.
Add in garlic and onions, stir until soft.
Add in the mince and stir. Make sure the meat is cooked throughout before the next step.
Add in the port wine and stir well for 1min.
Add in the stewed tomatoes and red wine, close the lid and put on low heat to simmer for 5-7mins.
While waiting for the mixture to simmer, cook the pasta according to instruction on the package and set aside.
Back to the sauce - open the lid and give the mixture a good stir. At this point, the sauce should be reduced by about half. Quickly add in the balsamic vinegar and the tomato paste, stir until the mixture is rich and thick. 
Remove from heat, press the basil leaves using fingertips to release its flavours and tear into the mixture. 
Add in pepper and salt to taste and stir again.
Drain the cooked pasta and serve in a bowl, topped with homemade bolognese sauce.
Sprinkle some parmesan on top for a nutty finish. 

A simple hearty meal for a hot Tuesday afternoon. 
I hope you enjoy this! 


No comments:

Post a Comment