Sunday, December 12, 2010

Suzy's Teenager Dates

Where's Suzy?
Last night:

What did you do when you were a teenager? Le Monsieur asked, as he eyeballed the hordes of teenagers loitering around the shopping district.

Hmmm, I did a lot of sports in school every day. At the same time, I had to study hard so that my parents wouldn't stop me from playing sports.

Don't you go out with friends? What about dating? Where did you go?

Well, that was in the early 90s and I was a nerdy kid from a good school. My friends were all really sporty and we hung out in school playing ball. Basketball, netball, hockey,... For dates *blush* it was usually a movie and then dinner. And the guy would send me home around 10pm, never after midnight. That was my curfew.

Where did you go for dinner? Hawker centres? Food courts?

*Indignant* Not hawker centres! Not for a date! That "Russian" restaurant Shaslik with nice steaks was a favourite. There was always Milano Pizza or Swensen's. Or Jack's Place. Japanese food wasn't common then. It's funny. I haven't been to any of these places for a long time.

* * * * * * * * * *
So today, we went to Jack's place for lunch and I'm very happy to report that the steaks are as good as I remembered: tender, succulent, and the perfect medium rare. And the prices too! They still served the potatoes with sour cream, bacon and chives, though I skipped the bacon this time. They even had the same green checked tablecloths. Le Monsieur liked it and I have a feeling that we'll be back there again very soon... For a date, no less!

It was nice for me to revisit the restaurant after so many years. I am glad that it had survived the times and retained its character over the years.

And you, where did you used to dine when you were a teenager? Have you been back since? Does it still exist? Does it bring back nice memories?

Have a great week of Christmas shopping ahead.

Love,
Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment