Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lala's Pesto


I have a herb patch which I try to maintain as much as I can. So today, it was "trim the basil" day. I love basil, they add so much flavour to cooking and are the easiest herbs to grow! No fuss, just lots of water. 


After trimming the basil, I was left with a pile of basil leaves and decided to make use of them by making pesto. 


This pesto recipe was given to me by a good friend. She's a fabulous cook and I admire her courage and energy in the kitchen. She is one person that does not cook by recipe, she cooks by taste and the "feeling". 


So, here is Lala's Pesto recipe... I hope I got it right!


Ingredients
3 handfuls of basil leaves
1 handful of lightly toasted pine nuts, it is important to have them lightly toasted
75g of parmesan cheese, grated. I use parmesan from a block and grate them myself so the flavour is more intense
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
A generous splash of olive oil
Pinch of salt



Preparation time: 7mins
Cooking time: None
Level of difficulty: Easy peasy

Add the basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts in a blender and whizz until texture is rough.
Add in the parmesan cheese into the mixture and whizz until texture resembles cookie crumbs.
Finally, add in the salt and a generous splash of olive oil and whizz again until mixture is smooth.
Taste - flavour should be full bodied with a nutty finish.

The pesto can be stored in the freezer for about 6 weeks and is delicious when cooked with pasta or eaten simply with bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment