Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tomato Bruschetta - Asian Style

Tantalising Buschettas
My mother is one of my most difficult customers, second only to my father. She is very fussy, loves only Chinese food and stubbornly refuses to try anything new. For a pot-luck dinner at my brother's place some years ago, I didn't want to bring an Asian dish to a table already filled with stir-fry vegetables, chicken curry, pork-rib soup, steamed fish and garlic prawns - all the essentials of a Singaporean feast

I wanted to bring something light and with a clean taste to contrast with the heavy flavours of the main dishes. It would have to be a cold appetizer to whet our appetites while the final dishes were being prepared. Most importantly, it must not be too "foreign" to my mother.

Bruschettas came to mind immediately. But how could i make my mother accept something that originates from Central Italy?


I modified my version with Asian herbs: lemongrass and coriander, and crossed my fingers as Mummy Dearest took first skeptical bite.

The only complaint that night was that I didn't make more of it. This simple appetizer features regularly in our family meals now. If I'm feeling adventurous, I would even add some sliced black olives for a smoky flavour. risque!


Tomato bruschetta - Asian style - serves 4

Ingredients
Tomatoes 250g of halved cherry tomatoes or 3 medium tomatoes, diced
1 bulb of garlic, minced
2 stalks of lemongrass, keeping only the tender white part, finely sliced
1 bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Crusty bread, sliced

Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
Level of difficulty: Easy peasy

In a small pot, slowly heat the oil with the garlic and lemongrass slivers. Stir to avoid burning the garlic. When the garlic is nicely browned, turn off the heat.
Throw in the tomatoes into the pot and stir to to coat them with the oil and garlic. Leave covered for several minutes.

When the pot has cooled slightly, throw in the chopped corriander. Shake the pot vigourously with the cover on to mix it thoroughly.

Grill the bread until crispy. Scoop a tablespoon of the warm tomatoes onto each slice of bread. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment