Sunday, August 22, 2010

I Love the Smell of Baking

Walking around the basement of Wisma Atria, I caught a whiff of cookies baking at Famous Amos. Famous Amos has a FREE SMELLS sign displayed, tongue in cheek. Indeed, the best things in life come free.


I wish I know how to bake well, not because I like cakes and cookies but because I adore the smell of baking. I tried to make bread once. The (ex)cleaning lady was amused. She hails from Northern China where noodles are the staple food. She barked instructions while I fought with the dough. Le Monsieur helped. He hails from France where bread is the staple. Aided by 2 experts, surely, success was guaranteed!


The baking bread smelled great, the bread - alas! - not so. It was too heavy - I was too impatient to let the dough rise properly. The experts did not mention that key point. We never had the urge to try again.


I have seen (and smelled) scented candles that smell of cinnamon bread. It's feels like cheating though, like food without calories.


Walking around the streets of Paris in the wee hours, one often catch whiffs of baking bread. The boulangeries start early to meet the demand for fresh bread at breakfast. It's a very comforting smell, especially in the chill of winter. The thought of industrious bakers toiling away made me feel less lonely as I made my way home.


I love the smell of baking...


There is a baking school near where i live now. I occasionally considered signing up for classes, just for a whiff of the smell... Perhaps the free smells of baking cookies would do for now... until my next attempt at baking...

No comments:

Post a Comment